Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Another Snorkel Experiment



I was driving around in the rain yesterday and was wondering, how much water gets in through the snorkel? And how much can get in before there's a problem...




AEV says the ram scoop has a special way of getting rid of water. While I have no idea how this works, or if it works, I figured I'd be the devil's advocate and go with "it doesn't work".




So I decided to chuck 500ml of water into my airbox and see what happens. I reckon if 500ml of water gets through the snorkel, then you're driving in some sort of monsoon. So in it goes, and I set the timer to see how long it takes to drain out.




To my joy, it all drained out in no time. There is no way that you'll be able to get more water than that through the snorkel. If you're getting more water than 500ml/min into your airbox, I strongly suggest you stop what you're doing. You're probably underwater or something like that.




So yes, driving in rain, even heavy rain at that, with a snorkel is perfectly safe with no risk of getting water into the engine.

Make sure you also sign up for my forum at www.4xforum.com/forum


No comments:

Post a Comment